Chronology: Lords of the Manor of Dagworth
and residents of Dagworth Hall
before 1066
Breme, a freeman who was killed at Hastings
by 1086
William, son of Gross, of Hugh de Montfort
1190s
The spirit Malekin appears at Dagworth Hall
by 1199
Osbert fitz Hervey and his wife Margaret fitz Roscelin
1205-1234
Osbert's son, Richard de Dagworth and his wife Isabel de Huntingfield
11 March 1216
King John held court at Dagworth
1234-1260
Richard's son, Osbert de Dagworth and his wife Hawise
1260-1290
Osbert's son John de Dagworth and his wife Maud de l'Escheker
1290-1332
John's son John de Dagworth and his wife Alice Fitz Warin
1332-1351
John's son Nicholas de Dagworth and his wife Margaret
1351-1360
Nicholas' son John de Dagworth and his wife Thomasine
1360-1383
John's widow Thomasine and her 2nd husband Sir William de Furnival
1383-1406
Thomasine's daughter, Joan de Furnivall & her husband Sir Thomas de
Nevill
C15th
Construction of the main range of the current house
1406-1423
Joan's daughter, Maud de Nevill and her husand John Talbot, 7th Baron
Talbot and 1st Earl of Shrewbury, Knt of the Garter
by 1450
William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk, whose wife Alice, widow of Thomas,
Earl of Salisbury was grandaughter of Geoffrey Chaucer
1450-1491
William's son, John de la Pole, 2nd Duke of Suffolk, whose wife Lady
Elizabeth was sister of King Edward IV
1491-1513
John's son, Edmund de la Pole, Earl of Suffolk
C16th
Construction of the cross wing of the current house
c.1514-1545
Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, whose wife was Mary Tudor
1538-1549
Nicholas Shyffield, lessee of the Duke of Suffolk
1546-c.1860
The Bishopric of Norwich held the Manor of Dagworth
before 1618
Robert Dawes of London, lessee
1618-1660
James Alexander and Robert Flicke of Earl Stonham, lessees
1660-1686
Sam Flack and William Coleman of Bury St Edmunds, lessees
1686-1714
Sir Samuel Clarke of Snailswell, Cambridgeshire, lessee
1714-1755
Samuel's son, Sir Robert Clarke MP of Snailswell, Cambridgeshire, lessee
1755-c.1762
George William Hayter, lessee
by 1762
200 acres at Dagworth Hall occupied by Simon Cod of Haughley
by 1772
William Haggit of Ipswich, lessee
c.1775-1824
Revd George Haggit, Rector of Rushden, lessee
bef. 1793-1812
Thomas Blomfield, Captain and Adjutant of the 10th Suffolk Regiment of
Militia, and his 2nd wife Mary Manning and 3rd wife Sarah Kimmance
1812-1824
John Jacob and his wife Anna Edwards
1824-1834
Revd Henry Heigham of Bury St Edmunds, lessee
1824-1835
Frederick Edwards and his wife Emma Edwards (Anna's niece)
1838-c.1852
Revd John George Haggit of Bury St Edmunds, lessee
1835-c.1852
James Janning, Farmer and Hop Grower, and his wife Elizabeth Turnor
1855-c.1860
Thomas Woodward, Farmer of 360 acres, and his wife Pamela Borrett
the Woodwards lease and then own Dagworth Hall Farm until c.2000
c.1860-1921
Lankesters of Stowmarket own Dagworth Hall Farm
c.1860-c.1895
Robert Cubitt, Farm Bailiff, and his wife Eunice
c.1895-1929
One half of the house: Robert's son Solomon Cubitt and his wife Alice
c.1895-c.1905
The other half: Robert's son Nathan Cubitt and his wife Bessie
c.1905-c.1915
The other half: Solomon and Nathan's nephew Walter and his wife Annie
by 1910
George Gudgeon of Stowmarket is Lord of the Manor of Dagworth
by 1921-1929
The other half: the Chapman family
1921-1929
Thomas' son George Augustus Woodward owns Dagworth Hall Farm
1929-1990
George's son, George Philip Woodward owns Dagworth Hall Farm
1929-1948
Alfred Burrows and his wife Eva Bannister rent Dagworth Hall Farm
1952-c.1990
East Dagworth Hall: the Turner family
1954-c.1960
West Dagworth Hall: the Chaplin family
c.1960-c.1980
West Dagworth Hall: the Whittit family
c.1980-1987
West Dagworth Hall: Richard Botwright
1988-
West Dagworth Hall: Roger & Susan Baldry
c.1990-2003
East Dagworth Hall: Brian & Marilyn Spalding
2003-2012
East Dagworth Hall: Jeremy & Hannah Steventon-Barnes
   
This chronology serves as a Table of Contents for the History of Dagworth: use the buttons to the
left to access each chapter in the History, or use the links below to jump to specific events.